Good glove photos are tough to find

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Re: Good glove photos are tough to find

Postby glovejunkie » April 13th, 2024, 1:49 pm

Here’s a link to a story about the upcoming show/display that I was talking about in the previous post, on the previous page, sorry it got bummed before others could see it. GO BACK to the previous page and check out the Javan Emory photo (this man is the reason negros were banned from professional baseball until Jackie)…also attached is a write-up for anyone interested in baseball photos, history, and the color-line…it’s a can’t miss for sure!! Not much on gloves necessarily, but many incredible original images you’ll never see anywhere else!! Hopefully my images aren’t super fuzzy…only way I could get this done was by taking screenshots of screenshots and emailing them to myself to resize them down below 256kb. Sorry if they suck

https://www.barrons.com/articles/trove- ... n-c98d4139
Attachments
IMG_3039.png
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » April 13th, 2024, 9:43 pm

That's a really interesting piece of history. I knew some of the sad history from Ken Burns' terrific Baseball documentary. I went to the gallery's website and wow, there are so many great photo's and documents. If it wasn't for the fact that I"m old and live in far away Wisconsin, I would love to go. I hope you don't mind me adding a link to the exhibition. I think the really vintage collectors here would be interested in the cabinet photo's. Your story would probably get more views if it was moved from here and started as a new post/topic. Maybe Brett can do that.

https://www.gittermangallery.com/exhibition/144/
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby glovejunkie » April 14th, 2024, 10:23 am

Yes, I agree OkDoak…I thought about the fact that the exhibition info needed a separate post/thread. I’ll try to do that later today ;). I just wanted to show that Javan Emory photo in the good gloves thread and didn’t know how to introduce it without discussing the story, Paul and his upcoming exhibit…honestly maybe the last time anyone will have a chance to see these originals. I’m pretty sure at some point in the near future they will either be donated to a museum as a collection or sold to a private collector as a complete collection. Like I said, his Conlon collection has already been donated to the Metropolitan, and is probably the best collection of Charles Conlon originals in existence. Paul is a true expert when it comes to Conlon and baseball photography in general. So anyone that likes baseball photos and is anywhere near NY, it’s worth the drive to go see this small part of his overall collection, and I do believe he plans to be there many of the days he can help tell the story and answer any questions the public might have.

The Emory photo has to be one of the best early catchers/gear photos I’ve ever seen, and then to be who it is, basically the last negro to play a professional game until they brought Jackie into the league. Such a strong, intimidating pose…when most negros in that time were portrayed as clowns and with bird cages on their heads…it sure is something special!! I’m sorry I bumped it to the last page before many probably even saw it.

Here’s the fingerless glove…
Attachments
IMG_3030.png
IMG_3030.png (158.42 KiB) Viewed 396 times
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » April 14th, 2024, 8:01 pm

It's amazing how sharp and clear the photo of Mr. Emory is. And the other cabinet photos on exhibit as well.
okdoak

Postby glovejunkie » April 14th, 2024, 8:19 pm

Yes…I believe that’s because all these prints are from the original glass-plate negative that Paul owns and is probably his numero uno prized procession in his collection. All the stuff he’s been able to piece together, takes serious dedication and a lot of time!! Original notes and correspondences from Clyde to Branch about Jackie…and the Page photos, hangin’ with his homies lol, jamming’ on the piano and playing pool, I mean com’on, they just don’t get any better!! The early original cabinets are icing on top. And believe it or not…this is just a tiny piece of his collection ;)
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » April 15th, 2024, 12:34 am

A good look at George Burns' glove in this great photo taken by George Rinhart.

From JD's glove gallery. What a beauty.

okdoak

Postby glovejunkie » April 15th, 2024, 8:16 am

Here’s Jackie…holding his glove high…thought fitting on Robinson Day…again sorry the images aren’t super clear and detailed, it’s the only way Ive found to get them from my phone to the forum. BTW…That Burns photo is great, love the detail that can be seen with the glove stampings
Attachments
View recent photos.jpeg
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » April 15th, 2024, 9:27 pm

Keeping it going on Jackie Robinson Day.

Jackie and Larry Doby.

okdoak

Postby okdoak » April 17th, 2024, 8:25 pm

Stan Hack played for the Cubs from 1932 to 1947. Wish this photo was higher resolution, but I'm guessing his glove is a Rawlings Billy Southworth. The catalog listing is from 1933.

okdoak

Postby okdoak » April 17th, 2024, 8:35 pm

Stan Hack from the same time period with a different glove that has me totally stumped. Just a single tunnel web with no tag and it looks like the laces run through and out the finger side?

okdoak

Postby mikesglove » April 18th, 2024, 2:20 pm

That glove is interesting. The thumb has grommets on both front and back like the Rawlings Doak model. There are also grommets and lace joining the forefinger and middle finger stalls. The glove is a head scratcher for sure.
mikesglove

Postby okdoak » April 18th, 2024, 5:57 pm

My first thought was that it was a Doak with a tunnel web added. But there's no Rawlings tag and it doesn't explain the extra finger grommets. It's a mystery.
The very first photo I posted on this thread was of Billy Herman with a strap web glove that was also a mystery to me. Mike identified it as a Billy Southworth, evidently popular with the Cubs' infield.
Just found another photo of Billy and the glove. You can see the punched holes to adjust the web.

okdoak

Postby okdoak » April 18th, 2024, 6:12 pm

Two more Cubs infielders, Billy Jurges and Phil Cavarretta, from the late 1940's. I believe that Wilson came out with their two finger Ball Hawk in 1948, the same year that Rawlings debuted their 3 finger Playmaker. Both were their top of the line gloves. I find very few photo's of the pro's using them, especially the Ball Hawk.

okdoak

Postby mikesglove » April 19th, 2024, 12:37 pm

Nice photo of Cavarretta and the ad for the Ball Hawk model 607L glove He's wearing. He had his own endorsed model, a pretty rare A2000 model with a barrel web.

here's another photo of Billy Herman circa 1932 with a fat pinky model glove.
mikesglove

Postby okdoak » April 19th, 2024, 8:44 pm

You really get a sense of what they were trying to do with that glove with the deeper pocket. And it's always neat to find a player using their endorsed glove or at least one by the same manufacture.
I posted this photo of Tex Carleton on a different thread years ago. Reach and Spalding each had top of the line Rainey web gloves. Then I found an old listing of his gamer from the 1934 WS when he was with the Cardinals. As with a lot of game used gloves that have been talked about on here, maybe it is, maybe not. That model doesn't show up in the Goldsmith catalog until 1936. But Tex also pitched in the 1935 and 1938 WS for the Cubs. Who knows?
Anyway, it all lead back to Carl Hubbell, who it appears also used the Selkirk glove.

okdoak

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion